Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Wheelchair etiquette...

Rather than beginning with my story, let's begin with a lesson on wheelchair etiquette.


The cardinal rule is to ask the passenger before interfering with the chair in any way. Do not assume someone wants you to start or stop pushing them without warning. It is unsettling and extremely annoying.


Also, please don't lean on or otherwise fondle the chair in any way without an invitation. That is just creepy...


Don't talk to someone while standing directly behind them. It forces the passenger to crane her neck which gets uncomfortable when it happens often. Trust me on this. My parents do it all the time.


If a seat is available nearby, please take it while you chat. Otherwise, the wheelchair user will feel like a midget. It has been difficult getting used to going from 5'5" to however tall I am in a wheelchair.


It is always nice to ask people if they would like some help and to please let you know if they need help at anytime.

1 comment:

  1. You crack me up on this one and teach me at the same time...what an absolutely essential and great post!!!!!

    ReplyDelete